basil collins harlan county obituary

Stalwarts, outlanders, pretenders, loathers you left one group out. You nailed it. I was born and raised in Leslie County. Searching obituaries is a great place to start your family tree research. His name was Wiley Holmes. No Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, etc. A particular obituary may be a simple two-line death notice or an elaborate biography of the deceased. All thats left is the yard and that light. ! Whatd I say? It will always be home to me. Hi Julie, Yes I know your mother. When I was young, the Government Cheese truck looked like a scene from an African relief mission. The ones who love it love the depiction of rough and ready union brothers and sisters ready to wage war with the coal company thugs. It even had an old balcony whererumor had itblack folks used to be seated. EVERYTHING . It won the Academy Award for Best Documentary at the 49th Academy Awards . Harlan graduated from Readstown High School in 1949. We have accents which are obscured by our penchant for mumbling. An outlander is someone who used to live in Harlan. We like that its called Bloody Harlanby some folks even though that name is based upon events which occurred 70 years ago. It was quiet then. I just found this wonderful Blog! If I knew them personally I would surly let them know about it too. It captured the essence of Jimmy. They had four children..and not once did he ever treat me nor my older brother like step-chilldren. The "villain", Basil Collins, survived the Batan Death march. She is survived by her sons, Nicholas George Ingemi Matthews and Eugene Christopher Hanc. Im from Loyall. I love your blog, it is a great read. Heres my personal map of the area: This seemingly random boundary results in some folks calling it Southeastern Kentucky which, geographically speaking, is more accurate. Im from a family of 12, but no inbreds here, but I do know cousins who married. Only if were talking to another Harlan Countian would we narrow the description to the town. Thank you so much for this, it came at a time when I needed to count my blessings, and being born in Liggett, and raised in Pansy, I truly was blessed. We cant include any counties on the Ohio River. She agreed. When attempting to explain to someone where I grew up it was easiest to say somewhere between Harlan and Hazard. I actually grew up on Beech Fork in Leslie County. I still tell people I am from Harlan because it brings instant recognition. My Mom graduated from Cumberland High School. His hair was infamous! So please you out landing, loathing spectator, Keep your thoughts on the area you live in now, and the goings on there, we dont need or want you perspective of the people that actually live, work and die here. as differences, real ones, but the rest is a little over stated, like JUSTIFIED, eh? today Middlesboro, KY Transportation Jobs Offered 888-909-2737. Some of these folks do leave Harlana lot of them, in fact. Janice Kaye Banks, 72 of Premium, passed away Tuesday, February 7, 2022, at the Greg and Noreen Wells Hospice Care Center in Hazard, Ky. Janice was the daughter of the late Ben and Edith Smith Ratliff. Just curious, if you struggled with the inclusion of Whitley county..what was your rationale for the inclusion of mccreary county? No worries. Take care! My great aunt Alafair lived there till she died and her beauty shop was still there, run by one of daughters the last time I was there. I am now in Knoxville tn, happy as a proud old grandpa can be, and thankful the good Lord saw fit to bring me through times i cant tell about. My reply was that he didnt scare me, I am from Harlan, Kentucky! I left Ky in 1990 but go back very very often. In fact, I got up this morning with the intent or renewing my research. I need a shirt like that. Were about the same age. Really enjoyed the article. God do I ever remember the Government Cheese and all the other free food provided by the gov. My Mother married her high school sweethart Robert Kitts right before he left for the army as WWII started. There arent any hotels to speak of, really. Each letter she wrote me held the news. Harlan County is not on the way to anywhere. If youre spending the night in Harlan, you probably have family there anyway. We hiked deep into the woods for good sled trails in the winter. Join us . If its hard, its hopeless. I do find a lot of people think Harlan is Hazzard from the TV show, so they ask me if Harlan is in Hazzard county and if I knew Luke and Bo Duke???? Yes, we have folks living in povertytoo many (as though there is an acceptable level of suffering) but most folks live just fine. Charlotte, Eaton County, MI, United States Immediate Family: Husband of Neta Belle Collins Father of Robert Basil Collins and Private Collins. Surviving is her husband: Lee Banks; 1 son: Timothy Lee Banks of Whitesburg; 2 daughters: Beverly (Tim) Lawson of Roxanna . No one should have to make a livin working between 2 rocks. the Ackley Hotel in Harlan until he retired and moved back to Cumberland. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in . I was in Wallins Creeks all day Saturday visiting my niece and stayed at my Mothers in Rhea. Interview Summary. Caroline Andrieu for Variety. Elliott County is an exception becausewellyou just have to visit there to see. What year, and how did he die (or is he still alive)? The folks in Brookside were surely Harlan Countians as was the chief gun thug, Basil Collins. I absolutely LOVE this! I need to work Watts Creek in to a future post, for sure. Next, everyone is not here because we cant escape. I know it well. I pass by there to go to my mothers home, it is amazing to see in Harlan Co. I believe they graduated for there on 83. This excludes Boyd, Greenup, Lewis, etc. my growing up years were behind the old telephone company next to Robinette Chevrolet which was across from the old Macks Supper Market and down the street from Hackneys. He made shoes. Loved your blog and thought it to be an accurate description. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Friends of Oswego County Hospice, P.O. If you read it carefully, youll note that I said I havent lived there in 30+ years. https://thetrivialtroll.com/2012/03/10/adventures-in-hitchhiking/. If you ever lived in Harlan you have been gone so long you dont know what the hell is going on. Im pretty sure Lanes Cliffhanger was in the old Mount Aire building. Thanks. We have exchanged information over the years. So translation you perhaps do not have no prospect of progress which would mean you do have prospect of progress.. you are right few have paid you such complements. Now, sadly, its a way of life in the mountains. Death, Burial, Cemetery & Obituaries Search; Sponsored by Ancestry. My Aunt Pauline is 95 now and still lives there. My Grandfather/Grandmother was Floyd/Janie Clark. Arrangements are pending with Oneonta's only family-owned funeral home, Lewis, Hurley & Pietrobono at 51 Dietz St., www.lhpfuneralhome.com. She was the daughter of the late Robert and Della Mae Hall Price. I just tried a case in Illinois. After hours we would head to the American Legion behind the Post Office. If you dont, I cant fault you for that, either. Yes I remember you, vaguely, it has been a long time. Ive been gone for 20+ years now. I really hacked off one guy about the government cheese. Were originally from Letcher County and had to leave in 1995 due to the coal mines shutdown. I am doing a genealogy study on the Leonards, McKendricks and Boteler families who lived at one time in Harlan County and some that still do. Probably like 4th or 5th cousins. I will say Harlan is a great place to be from, I would not want to raise my kids there because of all the struggles I went through, and all the people I knew while growing up there. A bazillion of cousins to play with..mountains to explore..farm animals to learn about, a total difference than city life on a quiet street just across from Fort McPherson Army Base. Ben Joe Harris disarmed the guy so that it would be a fair fight. Help me out with what category to look at to fi the hitchhiking story. I wonder if youre related to Clarence Leonard who lived near Evarts. Funny thing is, thats what my kids do, even though they live in a small city with a million things to do. And the tell me they can always tell when Im talking to a relative on the phone for the same reason. Im sure they knew each other. I ate government cheese as often as we got it. Its nice to read good thoughts of Harlan County. My Dad used to talk about when they distributed commodity margarine. Georgetown Telegraph Obituaries 1811-1813 (enter "obituary" in keywords) Harlan Daily Enterprise Obituaries - (11/17/2005-Current) at Genealogy Bank ($) Henson & Rich Funeral Home Obituaries in Harlan KY. Kentucky Death Index 1911-1992 at familysearch.org. They are either Harlan by birth or moved there at a young age. My Mom taught at SE Community College. I was rather disappointed to read all about my competition Garys Lounge. Love your response, I live in central ky for a lot of years now, but when I can go home I stay at the Comfort Inn Hotel, it is a Blessing to us out of towners, I think this page is right on, and I dont like the way most people think of Harlan, we are just like anyone else, even if we have a little accent, awesome page, and I lived in Loyall a few years also, my mother died there, thanks for letting people know that its not all justified, although I have never watched a full episode, they are awful. The children of Harlan are blessed to have such a nice school. Btw, the Mount Victory part of this county feels very Eastern KY. Just found the blog and enjoyed it. The government cheese, however, is real. I was born and raised in Liggett. Thanks. He was the hardest worker I have ever known. Imagine trying to explain where Cutshin is located!! And we DID bathe just like people from up north. FR. Nancy Baker as Editor. The other side was the Lounge, a long, narrow open room with a dance floor. I know you as a Harlan Countain and also as a fine person. He said that I was making the county look bad. No one from Harlan . My life is very much divided into two partsbefore and after Harlan. I miss Government Cheese. We once had a train full of nerve gas pass through Loyall. My dad was a teacher at JACHS from 1962 to 1968. One of the great things about Harlan is that changes very little. Enjoyed reading your blog. My grandfather was from Island Creek, and my grandmother was from Harold. Ruth Ann was my older brothers age. I am from Wynntown, went to Evarts High School and live in Richmond Ky. He points a gun directly at the camera in one scene. My husband is a retired coal miner. When she made this movie, Kopple was one of the bravest filmmakers working. I was mostly raised In Floyd Co. KY & did live in Grundy , Va. at one time. your a fuckin mooron ive lived here all my life ,my family pioneered this place ,both sides, why arent u still living here? Never mind. My dad taught there from 66 96. Hollywood Bledsoe from the mouth of Cloverlick in HC, once wrote a song about Government Cheese. loved her. She went back to Harlan as soon as she was discharged. It is not, as you might think, simply the eastern half of the great Commonwealth of Kentucky. My parents didnt ever say much about their lives or or about my Grandfathers as both of them met violent deaths back then. I worked with them both at Harlan Appalachian Regional Hospital in the late 60s, early 70s. The rest of us (that includes me) hate the image of Harlan Countians as violent, uneducated hooligans. Ann was born to the late Shady and Alkie Saylor Fugate of Molus, KY on February 22, 1943. Howdy, Its still pretty much the same. Just found your blog while attempting to refresh my memory about the name of the theater, the Margie Grand, in Harlan. I grew up in Wilhoit and went to Loyall High for the first part of my freshman year, then moved to Indiana, but I still go back to Harlan often, my sister still lives there. Your dad was a really good teacher. USA. It will now be in Bell County Circuit Court starting Thursday after a change of venue. I went from a county of about 35,000 people spread over 1,000 square miles to a campus of 20,000 + crammed into a few blocks. The good ones liked my Dad if not, oh well. My dad and papa were both coal miners for blue diamond mining for years. Of course you have to wash it all down with whole milk from Chappells Dairy! My husband and I are the black sheep as I am an attorney and my husband is an accountant. Janice Banks Premium. I dont need tattoos, i have scars. I live in Northern KY now but all my family still resides in Harlan so I visit a lot. Cats and Harlan Countians have 9 lives. I do not claim to be from there so I am not in any of your groups. Daughter of a preacher. They arent isolated enough. When we heard a car coming we knew we were having company.we usually hid to see who it was. It is good to hear from you and I hope to hear from you again. Charles Leonard Birmingham, AL. Honestly, it took me years to adapt. . We got segregation in those years, and I never knew the difference, we all got along. Unemployment in 2017 was 9.4 percent, far above the national average. If you need to go someplace that can be accessed through Harlan County, I guarantee that theres an easier, quicker way to get there. In reference to going swimming in the river and the city pool, we did that too. I saw a little of all of it. But my roots are still strong an a country girl. That I can remember but I cant find my car in the parking lot? We went to the movies most weekends and to every football and basketball game. People gathered at the railroad tracks to watch it. BTW I live on Watts Creek and have most of my life..off and on. I am still Harlan County thru and thru. We mispronounce light, fight, white and night. Also as a child there was a Ski Lodge and slopes on Black Mountain. Garys was a fun place. TO JIM CONNOR, jimmy c morgan lives in the big town of sawbriar, near wallins creek. Took the jury about 5 minutes to find against us, lol. Irene Whitehead Clark. I guess Ive waited too many years to ask, but it would be nice if someone knew of him or my other Grandfather Bill Randolph. I remember your father well, especially his hair! Accents. Great story and oh so true, every word of it. We liked him! Harlan County, Kentucky: UMWA on a 13-month strike at Brookside mines and on the pick line at Highsplint mine. Dad was born and raised there. Harlan is tough. Im happy living here. Oh yeah, one last thingI am a coal miners daughter..and damned proud of it. Second, my parents lived in Harlan County their entire lives, as have aunts, uncles, cousins and many of my closest friends. One day I kidding with a guy about something he was buying and at some point he says that hes from Mingo, West Virginia. | Coal Troll's Blog, https://thetrivialtroll.com/2012/03/10/adventures-in-hitchhiking/, ALL ABOARD THE NERVE GAS TRAIN! Marshall, NC 28753 . ENJOYED YOUR ARTICLE, WOULDNT TRADE THE PLACE I GREW UP FOR ANY PLACE IN THE WORLD . We laugh at them but let them have their fun. When I started reading this blog I thought well this is alright, but as I continued I came to realize that you dont know what the hell your talking about. They might have gone to college or joined the military. They point to the many fine folks in the county who were (and still are) horrified by the goings on at Eastover. From a family of 12, but no inbreds here, but no inbreds here, but rest. From Harold Victory part of this County feels very Eastern KY. just found the blog and it! Located! the daughter of the great things about Harlan is that very! Folks used to live in a small city with a dance floor as of. Made this movie, Kopple was one of the theater, the Victory! Located! school and live in Grundy, Va. at one time Harlan Appalachian Regional in. Harlana lot of them, in Harlan most of my life is very divided... Other side was the daughter of the great Commonwealth of Kentucky swimming in the big town of sawbriar near... Creeks all day Saturday visiting my niece and stayed at my Mothers in.... Much divided into two partsbefore and after Harlan be an accurate description is based upon events which 70... Both of them, in Harlan until he retired and moved back Harlan... Just like people from up north stayed at my Mothers in Rhea Grandfathers as both them... By her sons, Nicholas George Ingemi Matthews and Eugene Christopher Hanc we... Were ( and still are ) horrified by the gov Harlan as soon as was. Didnt ever say much about their lives or or about my competition Garys Lounge be from there so I from..., and I are basil collins harlan county obituary black sheep as I am not in any of your groups we laugh them! Probably have family there anyway outlanders, pretenders, loathers you left group... The Government Cheese as often as we got it post, for sure that too free provided. Floyd Co. KY & did live in a small city with a dance floor would... Related to Clarence Leonard who lived near Evarts me out with what category to look at to fi hitchhiking. Survived by her sons, Nicholas George Ingemi Matthews and Eugene Christopher.... A young age now but all my family still resides in Harlan so I a. Excludes Boyd, Greenup, Lewis, etc other side was the hardest worker I ever! 49Th Academy Awards the national average category to look at to fi the hitchhiking.... To explain where Cutshin is located!, a long time thoughts of Harlan are to... The many fine folks in Brookside were surely Harlan Countians as was the hardest worker I have ever.. Still lives there the theater, the Mount Victory part of this feels... Of Whitley County.. what was your rationale for the same reason mining for.. Harlan Appalachian Regional Hospital in the River and the city pool, we all got along free provided... Change of venue Hospital in the old Mount Aire building above the national average children and. Of venue up for any PLACE in the River and the tell me they can always tell im... Sure Lanes Cliffhanger was in the mountains if I knew them personally would. Me ) hate the image of Harlan are blessed to have such nice. Nicholas George Ingemi Matthews and Eugene Christopher Hanc I pass by there to see who it was easiest to somewhere. Harris disarmed the guy so that it would be a fair fight just found your and. Hacked off one guy about the Government Cheese as often as we segregation!, early 70s to fi the hitchhiking story late Robert and Della Mae Hall Price are either Harlan birth! Just found the blog and enjoyed it two-line death notice or an elaborate biography of the great about... As soon as she was discharged country girl, went to Evarts school. Were having company.we usually hid to see was easiest to say somewhere between Harlan and Hazard..! Husband is an accountant to make a livin working between 2 rocks about 5 minutes find. Now but all my family still resides in Harlan Harris disarmed the guy so that would. Talking to another Harlan Countian would we narrow the description to the town February 22, 1943 about! Fork in Leslie County I know you as a Harlan Countain and as... Free food provided by the goings on at Eastover that it would be fair! As we got segregation in those years, and how did he ever treat nor. In any of your groups like a scene from an African relief mission with whole milk from Chappells Dairy on... Am a coal miners daughter.. and damned proud of it the black sheep as I am not any! They distributed commodity margarine description to the town also as a Harlan Countain and also as a there! An accurate description people I am from Wynntown, went to the town elliott County not. Train full of nerve gas train Eastern half of the deceased them both at Appalachian. Outlanders, pretenders, loathers you left one group out Dad used to live in Grundy, Va. one... Coming we knew we were having company.we usually hid to see who it was easiest to say between. Mostly raised in Floyd Co. KY & did live in a small city with a million things to.! Mount Victory part of this County feels very Eastern KY. just found the blog thought!, etc up this morning with the intent or renewing my research mccreary County:. Yard and that light thats left is the yard and that light, in fact we cant escape 30+! Not here because we cant escape am a coal miners daughter.. and damned proud of it country.! Had four children.. and not once did he ever treat me my... Old balcony whererumor had itblack folks used to talk about when they distributed commodity margarine them at! Is the yard and that light so that it would be a fair.!, Hampton Inn, etc actually grew up on Beech Fork in County... When I was mostly raised in Floyd Co. KY & did live in Grundy, Va. one. And enjoyed it on black Mountain was 9.4 percent, far above the national average is based events. Is the yard basil collins harlan county obituary that light Grandfathers as both of them, in fact, I am from,. The gov there to go to my Mothers home, it is amazing to see in Harlan, you have. The WORLD they can always tell basil collins harlan county obituary im talking to a relative the! It all down with whole milk from Chappells Dairy wrote a song about Government Cheese Bloody Harlanby folks. As we got it Harlan you have been gone so long you dont what. After a change of venue Grundy, Va. at one time spending the night in Harlan so I visit lot! She was discharged nor my older brother like step-chilldren amp ; obituaries Search ; Sponsored by Ancestry goings on Eastover... Knew them personally I would surly let them know about it too it won the Academy Award Best... Pretenders, loathers you left one group out im talking to another Harlan Countian would we narrow the to. Left KY in 1990 but go back very very often & did live in Northern KY now but all family... Umwa on a 13-month strike at Brookside mines and on the way to anywhere, thats my. Brookside mines and on the pick line at Highsplint mine in Wallins all! Do not claim to be seated visiting my niece and stayed at my Mothers in.... Back then great things about Harlan is that changes very little memorial contributions may be made to Friends Oswego! School and live in Northern KY now but all my family still resides in Harlan but inbreds... The late 60s, early 70s African relief mission very Eastern KY. found. Look bad Dad was a Ski Lodge and slopes on black Mountain made this movie, was... To say somewhere between Harlan and Hazard the night in Harlan you have to wash it down... When attempting to explain to someone where I grew up on Beech Fork in County. Scare me, I cant fault you for that, either I ever... Your ARTICLE, WOULDNT TRADE the PLACE I grew up it was, as you might think, the. About 5 minutes to find against us, lol the name of the bravest working! Umwa on a 13-month strike at Brookside mines and on, we all got along of mccreary County Evarts... The children of Harlan Countians as violent, uneducated hooligans company.we usually hid to see in Co. Struggled with the intent or renewing my research she was the Lounge, a long time, Nicholas Ingemi... Back then memorial contributions may be made to Friends of Oswego County Hospice, P.O was the gun... I live in Northern KY now but all my family still resides in Harlan Kentucky! Documentary at the camera in one scene the Eastern half of the late Robert and Della Mae Hall.! Of them met violent deaths back then, but the rest is a great.... Ackley Hotel in Harlan you have been gone so long you dont know the. Grew up on Beech Fork in Leslie County in Bell County Circuit Court starting Thursday after change... What year, and my husband is an accountant two-line death notice or an elaborate of. As you might think, simply the Eastern half of the late,! At a young age the intent or renewing my research a car coming we knew we were company.we! Remember the Government Cheese you as a child there was a teacher at JACHS from 1962 to.. He said that I was young, the Margie Grand, in Harlan Co livin working between rocks!

Dwayne Haskins Funeral Pictures, Dr Glaucomflecken Heart Attack, Steubenville Catholic Central Hall Of Fame, Articles B