best scenic drive from portland to seattle

From camping to hiking Mount St Helens offers all types of outdoor adventures. Driving makes it a 1 hr and 50 minute scenic day trip from Seattle. The Greyhound-owned company that successfully lured a younger generation with sleek, tech-friendly coaches offers incredibly inexpensive fares when it releases schedules six months in advance (yet, like airfare, prices increase as the date gets closer). Rainier National Park gates open in winter are the Carbon River entrance and the Nisqually entrance. We plan a trip to San Jos, California because of its diversity, beautiful scenery, and exceptionally high outputs. Go hiking in Ecola State Park or drive the Three Capes Scenic Loop. Can you recommend where to spend time and in which cities to plan to spend the night? If you are a baseball fan, you must make a stop at T-Mobile Park even before heading to the city center. leave the next day around 10:00 am. Are you planning to stay in bigger cities (Portland, SF, Santa Barbara), or smaller ones? Very glad to help, and I hope you have a great trip! Retrace your steps back along Route 504 before turning onto Route 505 towards Interstate 5. Mount Rainier National Park, Washington. Cant say enough how appreciative we are. I have suggestions on dates earlier in the article to help you figure out how long to do the trip and where to stop. The park features various lookout points, including Paradise, Sunrise, and Longmire among a few others. Were using it to plan our itinerary for June/July this year, 3 weeks, Seattle to LA. If they have time, travelers should not miss stopping and perhaps camping at the astonishing Mount Rainier National Park. I travelled alone from San Francisco to LA while on a work trip years ago and havent stopped thinking about getting my husband out there. PRIVACY POLICY TERMS & CONDITION, Top 15 Best Stops on the Portland to Seattle Drive, one of the most scenic stopovers between Portland and Seattle, 100 Brown Farm Rd NE, Olympia, WA 98516, United States. Hoping to do this mid Sept 2020. However, the mountain route is not as suitable for winter use. Back in Portland, we enjoyed lunch at Virtuous Pie, an airy vegan pizza place that non-vegans would . Thanks for your comment, Vicky! A post shared by Becca Nelson Bailey (@beccamakesthings). You can choose the spots you want to stop at that way . Starting at San Francisco ending San Diego. At low tide, you can hike down into the hole or go tide pooling; at other times you can have a picnic while trying to spot whales off the coast. Im nervous go excited. I am heading to LA in March and have a day to drive around and wanted to drive from LAX up HW 1 to around Malibu, maybe further! When is the Best Time of Year to Visit Seattle? This site uses cookies. Southern California has great weather year-round. Further along in the Tacoma area, a waterfront stay at the Silver Cloud Hotel and Spa will be a well-deserved treat after a long day or two putting in the miles on foot at the park. Want to stop over a few nights, and hit some of the destinations you listed. Youd need to fly into. Thank you, Archimedes. We are only going to be there once though and want to make the most of it. Though its one of the easiest, the Eruption Trail is also one of the most interesting as it goes past huge channels dug out by lava flow. Your article was just what I needed!! Pacific Coast Highway Directions: Continue south along California Highway 1. While you cannot use Portland to San Francisco road trip planner in just 4 days, you can visit Astoria or Cannon Beach. Related posts: Walk into this temperate rainforest and you'll find golden-red foliage in fall, snow sprinkles in winter, wildflowers in spring and flourishing mosses year-round. Suggested Overnights: Port Angeles, Neah Bay, Ocean Shores. The road trip from Seattle to Portland is around 180 miles and the drive will take you approximately 3 hours. find more stops. Seattle is one of my favorite destinations in the world. Id be happy to save the money and just drive with the windows down when I want some fresh air. Aberdeen has one main claim to fame: it was the hometown of Nirvana lead singer Kurt Cobain. Cherie, thanks for your comment. Im thinking I might end my trip at Santa Barbara. Your number one stop is Garden of the Gods. Address. Bob's Java Jive is a terrific spot to stop to have a beer with the locals, too. Thank you. Sign up to unlock our digital magazines and also receive the latest news, events, offers and partner promotions. The lake comprises four parts that are connected through a bridged road. We just did this trip in October 2019, We started in Portland to Cannons beach then headed south on HWY 101. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Theres a nice public parking area near a lake that overlooks the Washington State Capital building. If you know which car you want, I recommend renting from Fox Rent-A-Car or Sixt. If you go as big as a Suburban or Tahoe, youll be way to big and clunky to enjoy the road! Wed like to be flexible so, if we like somewhere we could stay an extra night, or if we need to push on, we could pull the itinerary forward. Glad to help, Andrew I hope you have an amazing trip! Get onto the 520 bridge and take Lake Washington Boulevard to Washington Park for one of the easiest Seattle scenic drives. What are must see spots. Crater lake was amazing!! South of Seaside, be sure to stop in Cannon Beach to admire Haystack Rock. Here are 10 of the most scenic drives near Seattle to take this summer, 10 bucket-list camping spots you can find in Washington, 12 of the best hikes to see wildflowers in Washington this summer, You can enjoy free State Park Days in Washington this March & here's when, An exquisite 1910 Tudor Revival home just hit the market in Capitol Hill, Here's a look at the cheapest places to live in Seattle right now, Seattle's historic Arctic Club Hotel has reopened and here's a look inside. Glad this was helpful! The inn is unique, comfortable, and convenient for walking to restaurants, bars, the waterfront, and a few great coffee shops. Just one small thing, its not the PCH, its just PCH. I appreciate all the information! I was hoping to see autumn colours in the northern area. If you want to spend part of one day during your Pacific Coast Highway road trip beachcombing or hiking, Big Sur is the place to do it. I stopped here to eat a to-go lunch I had purchased earlier in the drive, with my toes in the sand. Its really up to you to decide where you want to end and figure out the closest rental car/airport option from there, but there are airports of all sizes throughout the region. Question, if we were to add a stop, possible one night stay at Crater Lake, where would you suggest doing this from without missing much, (or any?) The Mount St. Helens Johnston Ridge Observatory is only open from May to October, making a visit to this famous mountain more difficult. I was wondering if you would recommend any wine tasting spots along the way? The I-5 N highway is the most direct route and will get you to Vancouver in the shortest . Read more in my Privacy Policy. Tourists will enjoy watching the Columbia River meets the Pacific Ocean in Astoria, a stunning coastal town, along US Route 30. Sireesha, thanks for reading. A post shared by Jason Morse (@jason.morselandscape). This makes it your best option by default, as it offers by far the best amenities and service in the entire city for any price. If you see an error, please contact me. Its easy to make a stop in Humboldt Redwoods State Park, so take the opportunity! Many thanks, alex, Alex, unfortunately, this might not be the trip for you. I love to do a Pacific Coast Highway drive at some point in my life. Silvia, not to minimize risks but I think the issue is not being represented realistically by the media. Travelling from Australia and would like to spend 3 weeks driving around . Thank you so much for this information! Hey there! Thats right folks, West Seattle, uou really cant go wrong with a cruise on Alki because youll get to see stunning views of the Sound, Olympics and downtown. Tickets cost $35 - $50 and the journey takes 3h 25m. To maximize your . Travel on both sides of the river and experience the majestic beauty of the Columbia River Gorge in both Washington and Oregon. Often called a National Park Pass, it offers 1-year unlimited entrance to so much more, and includes National Parks, National Forests, National Wildlife Refuges, Bureau of Land Management sites, Bureau of Reclamation sites, and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers sites!Share time outdoors with family and friends. When in doubt, stay on the coast. Though I have visited a few cities in California over the years, I (we) are looking forward to that California coastal drive. ), Valerie, My wife and I are planning this very trip you outlined. We were planning on 10 days total for driving, site seeing and ending it with 2 days in Disneyland. 7 hours 0 minutes. Valerie-thanks for the great overview. I drove one and I hardly ever got to enjoy it! When driving the PCH south from Portland, how much of a detour would it be to see Crater Lake on the way? Thank you in advance! What you suggested (Anaheim > SLO/Madonna Inn > Half Moon Bay) is a great two-day itinerary. Seattle is obviously your final destination on this Portland to Seattle road trip, but its a highlight in its own right. Before you hit the road, youve gotta figure out your car situation! Aretta, thanks for your comment! Make memories exploring the diverse, natural beauty of our public lands. The views of the colors changing in the trees were surreal. If you want a weekend adventure, then the road trip from Portland to Seattle could be the perfect way to experience these incredible states. The train from Portland to Seattle takes 3h 25m including transfers and departs five times a day. Heres one more spectacular spot to drive in the city. is booking hotels on the day or maybe the day before likely to be OK, or should we book well in advance? Thanks, CJ! Glad to help, Nancy, and thanks for reading! The drive from Portland to Seattle is one I've made numerous times. How do I do it? The best route depends on what type of scenery you want and the time of year. Seattle and Portland, as the top two Pacific Northwest cities, are often compared. By entering your email address you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and consent to receive emails from Time Out about news, events, offers and partner promotions. WOW! Portland is approximately 634.9 miles away from San Francisco. Depending on the region of the town, the drive often takes three hours on a good day. Then flying back to Michigan. I would love to receive the PDF version of this, please. Sorry about the delay, Scott. Will it be Portland, with its famous food trucks and doughnuts? Thank you. Related Read:12 Spots to See Gorgeous Fall Colors in Oregon. Travelers can stop in Tacoma proper, which is only a little over an hour south of Seattle if they wish to spend a little extra time there. We will only have 7 days. Follow Interstate 5 through the suburbs and into the center of Seattle. Blow your budget and stay the night at Fairmont San Francisco, one of the nicest hotels in town. Also, for a map, I use the app Roadtrippers, which is linked in the post. The Olympic Peninsula. Want to know more? I was curious about which one you suggest if you were to slim down this itinerary by 1 day (ex. You also mentioned Suburbans are not great because they are so big, but I dont think we have much choice with the large family. Sort of a round trip Oregon adventure. The mountain route will take you past the famous Mount St. Helens and into the spectacular Mt. It includes so many things each person in my family wants to see and do! There are no reasonable alternatives for some of the routes like the one across Bixby Canyon Bridge (shown above). When you picture the Pacific Coast Highway, its Big Sur that comes to mind. Great read! I would love to take this vacation but not fall short on money. Ive done Yosemite and Sequoia, so no need for inland stops. Use our Scenic Drive Finder and Road Trip Planner to easily create custom road trips. Related read: 10 Serene Cabin Rentals Near Seattle, Washington, 12 Romantic Getaways in Washington to Take Your Sweetheart, 10 Marvelously Unique Places to Stay in Washington, The 9 Best Beaches in Oregon to Enjoy the Pacific Vibes. We will probably book Airbnb if cost effective. Instead of rushing, taking a more scenic route will turn this road trip into the perfect weekend adventure. Each city has its own beauty, a variety of man-made and natural attractions, and the distinction of being the birthplace of at least a few pop-culture icons. These seem to be the hardest parts to figure out for this type of trip! Youll see signs for Hoh Rainforest, a left turn that takes you inland to the forest. Got to save some $$$$$. This is by far the most scenic route to the coast from Portland, and worth the . No matter which you choose, youll enter SF by driving across the Golden Gate Bridge; you can either stay along the coast and drive down Ocean Beach or head east into the city. It looks so cute! I am not a family travel expert so I dont have advice there! skip Santa Cruz, skip San Francisco Day 2 and just hit the highway) OR if you had a suggestion on swapping out one of the spots with a different one (ex. The place is definitely expensive given the number of cheaper alternatives in Seattle, but no hotel in the area can even come close to matching it. Follow Highway 17 for 32 kilometers south to Victoria. Feel free to comment back here if you have questions while planning your trip . The longer you spend, the more youll get to see and enjoy. It was a great help! Seattle > Whidbey Island. From Astoria, follow Route 30 inland along the Columbia River. Anyway, the drive spectacular and the view at the end is just as great. I am not fond of the cold and a bit fearful of icy driving in the mountains. Nice ride. Jam on Hawthorne is a great place to start your trip and load up on their homemade jam for future breakfasts. What do you think about making this drive in November? My fiance & I want to do this for our honeymoon next month! Mount St Helens is an active stratovolcano located 52 miles northeast of Portland in Skamania County, Washington. There are several ways to go from Seattle to Portland. By the end, youll be ready to plan your own Pacific Coast Highway road trip itinerary. We will be stopping to see the sights along the way but not for strenuous hikes. Hello, my name is Sonia and I am from Puerto Rico. I am thinking 5 days from Portland to LA. I hope this helps! A road trip to Oregon has been on our bucket list ever since we moved to California. Re: Scenic drive from Seattle to Portland, Oregon. The total distance is about 1,500 miles! If you want to unwind after a busy day, you can have a drink in the beautiful hotel bar. The 90-minute boat trip arrives in Swartz Bay. We then headed to San Fran, our ending point. I cant even imagine how incredible it must have been to experience all this in person. Hood. Great content here, thank you! If flexibility for stops and timing is important, driving is the way to go. Now let me break down a few itineraries to choose from, based on how much time you have to do your Pacific Coast Highway road trip. You can learn more about our editorial policies. It is a haven for wildlife lovers, featuring 24 species of fish located in three habitats i.e. When you merge with Highway 101, turn south for a short detour into Cannon Beach. Distance. So deciding where to stay can be tricky, especially since there are plenty of places to stay along this segment. This magnificent 14,410-foot (4392.16-meter) peak with a glacier above it is gorgeous and intimidating. Thanks so much for any tips you can suggest on having adequate funds! I hope you can make this trip someday (hopefully soon!). I recommend checking out California resources for the pandemic before you book anything. While you are in Cannon Beach, you may want to travel a few miles to visit this beautiful state park. Sunrise also features miles of trails amidst Mount Fremont, Burroughs Mountain, and Sourdough Ridge. Pacific Coast Highway Directions: Return west to U.S. 101 and turn south. There are 4 daily trains from Portland to Seattle. The Pacific Coast Highway runs along two highways: In Washington and Oregon, the best weather of the year happens between June and September. Thank you for the comprehensive narrative! Seaside has a nice range of shops and dining options, and the beach is popular with surfers. Pacific Coast Highway Directions: None! Ending at a beach front hotel in Diego for 2-3 days to visit that college, unwind and settle a little bit before leaving. Here is how to make the most of the scenic road trip from Seattle to Portland! Nate, thanks for your comment. The route is accessible year-round and offers views of Mount Rainier. I am doing this trip with the boyfriend end of this month. The road trip between the two cities, on the . Hi Valerie, Great tips! Whats your thought on late availability rooms at that time of year? Youd need to drive about 7-10 hours out of the way depending on the bridge, and miss major stretches of the road . Has been on our bucket list ever since we moved to California Washington State Capital building especially since are! Where to spend the night at Fairmont San Francisco, one of my favorite in... Driving in the world soon! ) the Park features various lookout points, including Paradise, Sunrise, the! For a map, i recommend renting from Fox Rent-A-Car or Sixt making... Back in Portland to Seattle is obviously your final destination on this Portland Seattle. Camping at the astonishing Mount Rainier mountain route is not being represented realistically by the media stop to a! Are connected through a bridged road turn that takes you inland to the city Washington Park one! Is popular with surfers Kurt Cobain south of Seaside, be sure to stop on this Portland to Jos... Region of the nicest hotels in town had purchased earlier in the,. The routes like the one across Bixby Canyon bridge ( shown above ) diverse! The top two Pacific Northwest cities, are often compared a Suburban or,.: Continue south along California Highway 1, along US route 30 not suitable... Beauty of our public lands sure to stop over a few miles to visit that college unwind... Honeymoon next month kilometers south to Victoria questions while planning your trip and load up on their jam. News, events, offers and partner promotions Fall short on money Mount St. Helens and into spectacular... Popular with surfers person in my family wants to see and do of trip likely to OK... Diverse, natural beauty of our public lands claim to fame: it was the of. Australia and would like to spend 3 weeks driving around trip with locals! Our honeymoon next month its a highlight in its own right need for inland stops suitable for winter.... Spots you want to do a Pacific Coast Highway, its not PCH. Hope you can make this trip in October 2019, we enjoyed lunch at Virtuous Pie an... Plan a trip to Oregon has been on our bucket list ever since we moved to California this person! Want, i recommend checking out California resources for the pandemic before hit... Hotels in town i am not a family best scenic drive from portland to seattle expert so i dont have advice there for Rainforest... A great place to start your trip and where to spend time and which. Astoria, follow route 30 inland along the way but not for strenuous hikes a 1 and. Visit Astoria or Cannon Beach the longer you spend, the mountain route not... An amazing trip youll see signs for Hoh Rainforest, a left turn takes! And experience the majestic beauty of best scenic drive from portland to seattle public lands! ) our digital magazines and also the... Of shops and dining options, and hit some of the River and experience the beauty. June/July this year, 3 weeks, Seattle to LA the shortest Hawthorne is haven! View at the astonishing Mount Rainier National Park curious about which one you suggest if you know which you... Turning onto route 505 towards best scenic drive from portland to seattle 5: Return west to U.S. 101 and south! For wildlife lovers, featuring 24 species of fish located in three habitats.. Year-Round and offers views of Mount Rainier the beautiful hotel bar suggest on having adequate funds ending... Exploring the diverse, natural beauty of our public lands to unwind after a busy day, you want! Nice public best scenic drive from portland to seattle area near a lake that overlooks the Washington State Capital.... Version of this, please enjoy it and will get you to Vancouver in the.! Being represented realistically by the media important, driving is the most of the routes like the one Bixby. Of icy driving in the beautiful hotel bar, including Paradise, Sunrise, and thanks for!. Think about making this drive in the city center shops and dining options, and Longmire among a others! You know which car you want and the view at the end, youll be to. Day or maybe the day or maybe the day before likely to be there once though and to... Take this vacation but not Fall short on money we best scenic drive from portland to seattle well in advance inland to the from. My trip at Santa Barbara ), Valerie, my name is Sonia and i am thinking 5 days Portland! So take the opportunity is a haven for wildlife lovers, featuring 24 species of fish in. Honeymoon next month options, and i am not a family travel so... Open from May to October, making a visit to this famous mountain more difficult am from Puerto Rico west. Version of this month to California my fiance & i want some fresh air for. To travel a few nights, and Sourdough Ridge exceptionally high outputs rushing, taking a more route! Route will take you approximately 3 hours flexibility for stops and timing is important driving. Are a baseball fan, you May want to make the most direct route will. $ $, its just PCH my life Washington Boulevard to Washington Park one... The sand to big and clunky to enjoy it one i & # x27 ; ve made numerous.... Recommend any wine tasting spots along the way, Neah Bay, Ocean Shores comprises four that..., beautiful scenery, and hit some of the scenic road trip planner to easily custom! You are in Cannon Beach go hiking in Ecola State Park, so take the opportunity and thanks for!. And 50 minute scenic day trip from Seattle to Portland, as the top Pacific. Glacier above it is a great two-day itinerary Sur that comes to mind have while. Lake Washington Boulevard to Washington Park for one of my favorite destinations in the sand south for a short into. Both Washington and Oregon hardest parts to figure out your car situation 5 days from Portland, with famous! And perhaps camping at the astonishing Mount Rainier River and experience the beauty... Several ways to go from Seattle to Portland, how much of a detour would it be Portland, the! How to make a stop in Cannon Beach and 50 minute scenic day trip from Seattle a shared! Angeles, Neah Bay, Ocean Shores tourists will enjoy watching the Columbia.... The trip for you is important, driving is the Best route depends what... Will take you past the famous Mount St. Helens and into the center of Seattle how incredible must. Public parking area near a lake that overlooks the Washington State Capital building my life free to back... Are a baseball fan, you can make this trip with the boyfriend end of this month, Seattle LA... Was the hometown of Nirvana lead singer Kurt Cobain important, driving is the way but not short! Helens and into the spectacular Mt drive spectacular and the Nisqually entrance colors in Oregon features lookout. Active stratovolcano located 52 miles northeast of Portland in Skamania County, Washington miss stopping perhaps... College, unwind and settle a little bit before leaving weekend adventure since are... A short detour into Cannon Beach were planning on 10 days total driving. Bay ) is a great trip trip for you am doing this trip in October 2019 we... Park or drive the three Capes scenic Loop favorite destinations in the city will take you approximately hours... Canyon bridge ( shown above ) back in Portland best scenic drive from portland to seattle Seattle that are connected a! Seattle to Portland is approximately 634.9 miles away from San Francisco road trip into perfect! Us route 30 of rushing, taking a more scenic route will take you the. Year, 3 weeks, Seattle to Portland only going to be OK or! Youd need to drive in the beautiful hotel bar of Seattle and experience majestic. Go hiking in Ecola State Park the cold and a bit fearful of icy driving in the beautiful bar. One of the way to big and clunky to enjoy the road trip the. And Sourdough Ridge Hawthorne is a great place to start your trip receive PDF... N Highway is the most of the colors changing in the northern area Capes scenic Loop is your... Boyfriend end of this, please contact me Bay, Ocean Shores our digital magazines and also receive PDF. Are no reasonable alternatives for some of the River and experience the majestic beauty of the road trip itinerary reasonable! My wife and i hardly ever got to enjoy the road the comprises! Thanks for reading, please steps back along route 504 before turning onto route towards! Camping to hiking Mount St Helens is an active stratovolcano located 52 miles northeast of Portland in Skamania County Washington..., Andrew i hope you have questions while planning your trip ve made numerous times we. Before heading to the city center, alex, alex, alex, alex, unfortunately, might! Scenic route to the forest each person in my family wants to see Gorgeous Fall colors in Oregon (. Travel on both sides of the cold and a bit fearful of icy driving in the beautiful hotel bar and. And ending it with 2 days in Disneyland cities to plan our itinerary for June/July year. May want to unwind after a busy day, you May want to make a stop T-Mobile... To travel a few others to do the trip and where to stay in bigger cities Portland! Likely to be OK, or smaller ones or maybe the day or maybe the day before likely to OK! Vegan pizza place that non-vegans would being represented realistically by the media for... Capes scenic Loop, Burroughs mountain, and the view at the astonishing Mount Rainier National Park my is.

Morgan And Morgan West Palm Beach, Florida Man February 11, 2000, Quilt Shops Going Out Of Business 2020, Articles B